1. Purpose & Scope
This policy affirms Merit Solutions’ commitment to privacy principles and describes how we ensure compliance with relevant Privacy legislation.
3. Policy Statement
Personal information can be information or an opinion about you from which your identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained. We are committed to promoting confidence in the manner in which your personal information is handled by us. In this regard we will act ethically and, as evidence of this commitment, will comply with the Privacy Amendment (Private Sector) Act 2000 and the Australian Privacy Principles set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (as amended).
4. Collection of Personal Information
4.1 Types of personal information we collect
Information collected is dependent on the nature of our engagement with the individual or the service we provide on behalf of our client. Most of the information we collect includes:
- Name and contact details including phone number, address, email address.
- Your current role details including job titles, organisation, phone number and email address.
It may be necessary to collect other or sensitive information in order to provide specific services on behalf of our client. Such information may include:
- Past career history including job titles, organisation, phone number and email address.
- Psychometric assessment results
- Identification documents (eg. Driver’s license)
- Qualifications and professional membership details
- Referee details
- Medical information (current and historic)
- Criminal history (only attained with your consent and only if required)
- Visa or work permits
- Vaccination status (only if it is a mandatory requirement by the client or workplace)
- Bank details, tax file number, superannuation details and insurance arrangements
- Disciplinary history declarations
4.2 How we collect personal information
We may collect personal information from you when you:
- Contact our office or one of our consultants via phone, email or in person to discuss our services
- Subscribe to receive information regarding our services
- Submit a job application for a position with Merit Solutions
- Submit an expression of interest for future job opportunities
- Submit a job application as part of a recruitment process that we conduct for a client.
4.3 Providing us with personal information about someone else
5. Disclosure and Use of Personal Information
Your personal information may be disclosed to approved third parties, but under no circumstance will it be publicly disclosed or sold to others. We have taken reasonable steps to ensure that approved third parties only handle personal information in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles.
5.1 Purpose for which we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information
Merit Solutions collects personal information relating to one of more of our functions or services to clients. Personal information will only be used and disclosed for its intended purpose in providing or promoting our services to you and/or our client. These may include:
- communicating with you regarding your purpose for submitting your personal information to us;
- recruitment and selection of potential employees;
- assessing your suitability for the role you have applied for;
- assessing your suitability for other roles that matches your skills and experience;
- assisting in your work placement;
- informing you of possible work opportunities;
- undertaking criminal history checks (with your consent and only if required);
- communicating details regarding training workshops you have registered yourself or others for;
- personalising our communications with you to promote our services to you;
- assisting in investigating your complaints, feedback and enquiries;
5.2 Direct Marketing
Merit Solutions may use your personal information for the purpose of marketing our services to you. We will only do this if you have previously provided us with your details directly by either engaging with our services, by opting-in to receive marketing materials, or if we have reasonable grounds to have obtained your personal information (for example, someone else registered you for one of our training workshops with your consent). We will not send marketing materials to you if we received your details as a job applicant.
If you no longer wish to receive marketing communications from us, you can contact us to request to be removed. If you have received an email marketing message, you can also click on the unsubscribe link placed at the bottom of each message.
5.3 Disclosure of personal information to approved third parties
We may disclose your personal information to the following approved third parties to perform the service provided:
- our contractors and consultants in order to perform services on behalf of our company or our clients;
- clients who wish to engage you as a contractor, temporary employee or permanent employee;
- your referees;
- other entities with your consent or as permitted or required by law.
5.4 Disclosure of personal information overseas
Merit Solutions will not disclose your personal information to entities outside of Australia.
5.5 Holding personal information
Merit Solutions has policies and processes in place to ensure personal information is de-identified or destroyed once it is no longer in use or no longer required. Merit Solutions engages Australian based, third-party providers to collect and host your personal information on our behalf. Only authorised personnel have access to these secure platforms.
6. Quality of Personal Information
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that personal information we have about you is accurate, complete and up to date when we use it. To assist us, please contact Merit Solutions if any of the details you have provided change or if you are uncertain about its accuracy. We need to rely on you to assist us to keep your personal information up to date and all reasonable effort will be made to assist you to do this.
7. Access and Correction
You may request access to the information we have collected about you and obtain a more in-depth explanation about how the information is used by contacting Merit Solutions. If at any time you wish to change personal information that is incorrect or wish to have your personal information deleted, please contact us. Unless personal information is required to be retained by us for administrative or legal reasons, we will meet such requests at the earliest possible opportunity.
8. Information Security and Storage
Personal information is held in both hard copy and electronic formats. We have taken reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is secure at all times. Electronic information is limited to authorised personnel and approved third parties and hard-copy information is stored in secure locations (such as lockable filing cabinets). We also take steps to reasonably protect your personal information from misuse and loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure and maintained in an accurate and complete and up-to-date manner. When your information is no longer needed it will be confidentially destroyed or returned intact to the client organisation. All Merit Solutions staff, consultants and contractors are bound by confidentiality agreements and must adhere to our Information Security Standard that ensures reasonable steps are taken at all time to secure personal information in our possession.
We will be honest and open with you about the type of personal information that we collect about you and the actual use of any such information. We will let you know at the time we collect your personal information or soon after how we will treat it. You are welcome to contact Merit Solutions at any time for details of the personal information held by us about you.
10. Privacy Complaints
You have a right to complain and have your complaint handled efficiently if you are concerned about the handling of your personal information. We are committed to providing you with a fair and responsive system for resolving complaints. We believe that in receiving your complaint we are provided with a valuable opportunity to improve the services we deliver and maintain confidence in our services. If you wish to lodge a complaint in respect of the handling, use or disclosure of your personal information by us you may contact the Managing Director and we will undertake to investigate your complaint and advise you of the outcome promptly. If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you may contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
11. Contacting Merit Solutions
Please notify Merit Solutions if you would like to access or correct your personal information, or if you wish to make a complaint, query or provide feedback about the way we handle your personal information.
Level 23, 127 Creek St Brisbane QLD 4000
T: 07 3220 1166