This policy affirms Merit Solutions’ commitment to occupational health and safety and beyond this to positive well being for our staff and contractors.
This policy is ongoing and applies to all workplaces. Every manager, employee and contractor has a responsibility under the policy.
Merit Solutions commits to provide a safe and healthy environment for employees, contractors and visitors. This is achieved by fully integrating health and safety into all its operations and activities.
A simple and appropriate safety management system will be implemented based on the systematic identification, assessment and control of risks. Effective communication and consultation about changes forms a fundamental part of this management process, encouraging innovative means of reducing risk in the work environment. Appropriate training and information will be provided to assist staff and contractors to identify health and safety risks, leading to safe work practices within the work environment and beyond.
Merit Solutions specifically recognises the need to ensure that:
- Statutory requirements are fulfilled. In particular, the provisions of Queensland Workplace Health and Safety Act (2011) and its operations are satisfied, and all relevant codes of practice are adopted and accepted as the minimum standard;
- Adequate instruction is given to employees and contractors in safe working procedures and that they are informed of any hazard to their well-being and health which is known to be associated with the work in which they are involved;
- Office equipment is maintained in a safe condition;
- Visitors and participants in training programs are briefed about any safety issues and emergency procedures; and
- Effective procedures are implemented to manage any harmful substances, air pollution, noise or radiation (including the storage, use and disposal of harmful substances);
- Fatigue is recognised as a potential workplace issue, staff are educated about the impact of fatigue, staff performance and behaviour is monitored and fatigue taken into account in the investigation of any incident or accident;
- Drug and alcohol abuse is recognised as a potential workplace issue, staff are educated about the impact of fatigue, staff performance and behaviour is monitored and fatigue taken into account in the investigation of any incident or accident.
Merit Solutions also actively supports flexible working arrangements which enable:
- Work/family/life balance;
- Participation in other important activities including care for children or other relatives, study, transition to retirement and leisure.
Responsibility for workplace health and safety is shared:
- Managing Director is responsible for the development and implementation of policies and practices which ensure a healthy and safe workplace;
- Employees and contractors are responsible for their own behaviour, ensuring that they positively and proactively contribute to health and safety at work.
Owners commit to consult with employees and contractors around:
- the development and implementation of policies and practices which ensure a healthy and safe workplace;
- the identification and management of potential workplace health and safety risks.
The following risks have been identified and procedures developed to manage risks and hazards:
|Risk/Hazard||Level of Risk/Likelihood||Management Strategy|
|Defective office equipment||High/Low||Procedures for monitoring office equipment|
|Visitors||Low/Low||Briefing for all training participants|
|Air pollution (office printers)||Low/Low||New equipment meets high standards for air pollution|
|RSI||Moderate/moderate||All consultants educated re risks. Office assess ensure ergonomic working environment|
|Fatigue||Low/Low||All staff & consultants educated re risks. Behaviour monitored.|
|Drug & alcohol abuse||Low/Low||All staff & consultants educated re risks. Behaviour monitored.|
Inspections and Monitoring
Workplace assessment to be conducted on induction and then annually for corporate office and all home office facilities.
Incident Reporting and Investigation
Any incident or accident will be investigated thoroughly and promptly with the report going immediately to the Managing Director. In the event of any accident or injury which results in lost time, our rehabilitation and return to work practices will reflect Australian best practice.